[OpenIndiana-discuss] Oios ????? Re: mailinglist oios

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Feb 12 00:08:05 UTC 2017

11 февраля 2017 г. 22:36:09 CET, bscuk2 <bscuk2 at gmail.com> пишет:
>openindiana was a project name in the past but it evolved to oi and
>oios
>as branding and search engine necessities moved it on. Clearly I am not
>
>now keen on calling it Hipster now as people suggest. Keep it as it is
>oi or oios.
>

>On 11/02/2017 21:32, Nikola M wrote:
>> On 01/30/17 01:36 AM, Jerry Kemp wrote:
>>> Came across this post searching my personal archives for something
>else.
>>
>> I got under impression it's just a nickname he likes to call
>Openindiana.
>> Didn't spread much as branding is Openindiana / OI.

Actually it is still the OpenIndiana (or OI for short) as a something between vendor tag (with no corporate entity though) and distro spec (modern direct continuation of OpenSolaris Indiana (IPS edition), general purpose for both servers and desktops - and probably upgradeable from old OpenSolaris setups over a number of intermediate steps and a mix of light and dark magic, voodoo and shaman tamtam dancing during the right phase of the blue moon).

There are (or were intended) several distros under this umbrella, subject to available manpower, such as 'dev' with original OpenSolaris consolidation and package structure and occasional "preview releases" (up till 151a9), and OpenIndiana/Hipster as a rolling release still busy getting rid of last vestiges of legacy consolidations so a new foundation can be used for "stable releases", if someone pops up to define and maintain and support those - probably with OpenIndiana/SomethingElse name-tag.

Hope this clears it up a bit.
Jim Klimov
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android