[OpenIndiana-discuss] Any 32-bit users?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 11:46:03 UTC 2017

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Aurélien Larcher <
aurelien.larcher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 5:29 PM, Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Something that came up in discussion while we were at FOSDEM was
> > whether it's safe to ship 64-bit only applications in OpenIndiana.
> >

> Maybe we could identify a subset of applications, libraries for which it
> makes sense to ship 32-bit and 64-bit, like server software, while desktop
> could move to 64-bit only.

I would expect it to be the other way round. Server stuff tends to be for
24/7 or business use; there is no economic sense in running antique
hardware for that, the power bill alone encourages replacement with newer
(and much more capable) systems. Whereas having an old desktop or
laptop that you might want to get a bit more service out of seems much
more likely.

But that's an opinion and has some anecdotal support from people I
meet in the pub, it's not fact. Hence why asking the question is
necessary.

--
-Peter Tribble