[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana upgrade

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Fri Jan 13 14:47:54 UTC 2017

Hi alp!

> Do later SRSS versions come as IPS packages? When I installed it last
> time, they were still SVR4-packaged, so IPS wouldn't be aware of it...

Yes, they do:

$ pkg info SUNWutr
             Name: SUNWutr
         Category: System/Virtualization
            State: Installed
        Publisher: sunray
          Version: 4.5.0.0.44
    Build Release: 5.11
           Branch: 0.0
   Packaging Date: Tue Apr 14 17:50:15 2015
             Size: 455.08 kB
             FMRI: pkg://sunray/SUNWutr@4.5.0.0.44,5.11-0.0:20150414T175015Z

(not the latest version :-)

As you can see, there is a separate publisher ("sunray").  Oracle ships
the complete repository, adds the publisher during software installation
and removes the publisher afterwards.

My guess is that they do this because it is not possible to "pkg update"
from one Sun Ray software version to the next.  However, you can find
and examine the repository inside the SRSS distribution.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"