[OpenIndiana-discuss] The end is near

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Jan 18 21:42:26 UTC 2017

On 01/18/17 12:33 PM, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:
>> Really?  2034 still seems so far away now...
>>
>> http://www.oracle.com/us/support/library/lifetime-support-hardware-301321.pdf
>> (pg. 37)
>>

> Well I do not see anything about Solaris 12 on page 37.

The support life document doesn't say anything about releases that have
not yet been shipped as supported products.  The only thing you can
be completely sure of from not seeing Solaris 12 there is that Oracle
has not yet released any finished product named Solaris 12 and started
offering support contracts for it.

The support life document does say that Solaris 11 is now supported
until at least 2034 as changing the release model to ship new features
in Solaris 11 updates instead of as a new Solaris release such as
Solaris 12, so development work is continuing, no matter what name
or version number ends up on the finished product.

	-alan-