[OpenIndiana-discuss] The end is near

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 21 00:24:26 UTC 2017

On 20/01/2017 17:29, John D Groenveld wrote:
> In message <ef13fe14548c4db7b157f87caa62b00e at CNSH-DAG1.ISSI.com>, Fred Liu writ
> es:
>> Nexenta has to co-work with hardware OEMs for nexentastor is just software. As
>> long as I know, they rolled out they-called software-defined storage applianc
>> es with Dell, PogoLinux, Supermicro etc. I even installed nexentasor on generi
>> c x86 hardware(I forgot the detailed configurations..).
> With a bit of work, I believe Gea's napp-it will run on top
> of OI:
> <URL:https://www.napp-it.org/downloads/openindiana_en.html>
>
> Not sure if these are good-enough solutions compared to
> low-volume, high-margin Oracle ZFS Storage appliances
> and if not, what features are missing from OI/Nexenta/illumos.

This all depends what experience you have (Solaris, ZFS), and what level
of support you need, High Availability or not, etc. Some of the
solutions will hide it all behind a GUI, and at the other extreme, you
can roll your own using the standard Solaris/Illumos commands. Some
allow you to add specific software you might need (e.g. your own
monitoring), some will turn a blind eye although not really allowing it,
and others will not allow it at all. Again - depends what you need. If
you need a storage server as opposed to a storage appliance, then you
will probably need to roll your own.

The Oracle ZFS Storage did get nearer to realistic pricing a few years
ago (and might still be - I'm out of touch with it now), but when I was
working for one of the other ZFS openstorage companies, I never saw
Oracle try to sell their ZFS Storage Appliance into any of the large
opportunities which came up, even though it would have been ideal in
many cases. I think the Storage folks there probably never understood
it, and back when I was still in Solaris Sales, it was mainly us who
sold it even though it was supposed to be the responsibility of Storage.
There's been no Solaris Sales team for years, so probably no one has
been much pushing it for a long time.

--

Andrew