[OpenIndiana-discuss] Manual Compilation vs pkg install

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Jul 11 08:36:47 UTC 2017

On July 11, 2017 9:07:16 AM GMT+02:00, Handojo via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>Hi,
>I'd like to find out, why, if I compile and install a package ( example
>: qt-x11-free-3.3.8b.tar.gz )
>It can't immediately queryable via : pkg info [Package Name]
>But if I install a package using : "pkg install", I can query using
>"pkg info"
>So how can I make a package installed by manual compilation, can be
>query-able via pkg info ?
>
>Thanks
>Handojo

Installation of a "Package" involves not only delivery of its build products into certain locations (which a `cp` or `make install` or `untar` might do), but also packaging metadata that includes a lot of maintainer-defined attributes like package name, comments, timestamps, list of delivered files and other "actions" (in terms of the IPS packaging technology used by OI), etc. It is rarely all written from scratch - automation like package-building recipes helps populate the copy-pasted templates - but it is still non-null work done by packagers e.g. to fill or update some entries.

For OI packaging recipes and tools in particular, see https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland and the OI Wiki. Note that you can clone this git-repository and (re-)define some components, build them and they end up in an IPS-repository in a directory on your local filesystem, which you can register as an IPS repo for your OS (like `pkg set-publisher -g file:///... localrepo`) and install packages from there. If you have same-named packages in e.g. common (internet-based) and local repo's, just install using full package FMRI e.g. `pkg install -v pkg://reponame/classification/pkgname` to prefer a particular one.

Hope this helps,
Jim Klimov

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Redmi Android