[OpenIndiana-discuss] New request for info `Are we able to install recent vbox versions'

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 14:32:06 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:

> Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Sure.
> >
> > Over time, functions get added to libc. We don't change the version
> number
> > of libc itself; the versioning is handled internally.
>
> Wow.. thanks for such a thorough explanation.
>
> So, it must be some hefty work to get that straightened out or it
> would be.
>
> I see the bug was reported quite some time ago. Do you suppose
> that correction will happen any time this year?  Or is there just not
> much interest in it?

Oh there's been a lot of interest in it. Alexander's been doing a lot of
work validating and testing. I'm cautiously optimistic this will get
fixed soon.

The fix at a technical level is very simple. Getting people happy with it
takes a bit longer, and making fixes to align with Oracle Solaris is a
politically charged subject for some.

--
-Peter Tribble