[OpenIndiana-discuss] Bug in emacs with latest Hipster

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 23 16:24:04 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 05:35:50PM +0300, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> On 06/23/17 04:49 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
> >I've always used emacs as my editor, but when I tried it on a recent
> >Hipster, I got a surprise.  It happens when I run emacs in curses
> >mode, and when I paste some text into the emacs window, inside a
> >gnome-terminal window.
>
> Same emacs here. Don't see this behavior. But I don't use emacs routinely.

You have to make a remote connection to the Hipster machine.  I use
rlogin, but ssh would work as well.  `emacs -nw' might also work, or
you can unset DISPLAY .  I don't have a graphic console on that
machine, so that's the only way I can run emacs.  It will paste at the
cursor, the same as if you typed the phrase.