[OpenIndiana-discuss] Rhythmbox crashes after large update on 2017-03-07

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Wed Mar 8 19:10:40 UTC 2017

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Rhythmbox crashes after large update on...:

> After the large Hipster update yesterday, Rhythmbox crashes and dumps core
> when I try to play songs that played fine before the update.  Anyone else
> seeing this?

I updated to latest hipster yesterday afternoon too.

I hadn't tried rhythmbox since the hipster 2016.10 release, because after
updating to that I was missing some of the encumbered plugins and I don't
think updated versions ever got added to hipster-encumbered (at least
last I checked).

I just tried rhythmbox now, and rhythmbox core dumps for me too.

If I try debug it with 'dbx', then dbx core dumps.  :-)  At least it
leaves its core in /tmp, so it doesn't overwrite the core from rhythmbox.

I then installed gdb and tried that, and gdb also core dumps:

12:58 PM dogbert ~$ gdb /usr/bin/rhythmbox core
Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
12:59 PM dogbert ~$ file core
core:           ELF 64-bit LSB core file AMD64 Version 1, from 'gdb'

So, what information would be useful to help track down any of these
issues?

01:03 PM dogbert ~$ pkg info rhythmbox
           Name: gnome/media/rhythmbox
       Category: Applications/Sound and Video
          State: Installed
      Publisher: openindiana.org
        Version: 0.13.3
         Branch: 2017.0.0.3
Packaging Date: March  6, 2017 03:30:47 PM
           Size: 15.61 MB
           FMRI: pkg://openindiana.org/gnome/media/rhythmbox@0.13.3-2017.0.0.3:20170306T153047Z
    Project URL: http://www.gnome.org
     Source URL: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/rhythmbox/0.13/rhythmbox-0.13.3.tar.bz2

01:03 PM dogbert ~$ pkg info gdb
              Name: developer/debug/gdb
Ada, C,
                    C++, Objective-C, Pascal and many other languages.  GDB
                    allows you to see what is going on inside another
program
                    while it executes, or what another program was doing at
the
                    moment it crashed.
          Category: Development/System
             State: Installed
         Publisher: openindiana.org
           Version: 7.10.1
            Branch: 2017.0.0.2
    Packaging Date: March  6, 2017 10:17:53 AM
Last Install Time: March  8, 2017 06:58:08 PM
              Size: 36.57 MB
              FMRI: pkg://openindiana.org/developer/debug/gdb@7.10.1-2017.0.0.2:20170306T101753Z
       Project URL: http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/
        Source URL: http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gdb/gdb-7.10.1.tar.gz

As an aside, rhythmbox links to a truly impressive number of libraries:

01:04 PM dogbert ~$ ldd /usr/bin/rhythmbox | wc -l
      110

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)