[OpenIndiana-discuss] sharesmb and sharenfs on rpool error

James Blachly james.blachly at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 00:59:45 UTC 2017

With the latest OI (20161030 IIRC) when I try to set the sharesmb or sharenfs property to “on” for my home directory (rpool/export/home/james), I get an error that the dataset does not exist. However, the command successfully completes, and, after getting /var/smb/smbpasswd set up correctly (this is a topic for another day, sigh), the share works correctly. Likewise, I get the same error when setting sharenfs=on.

Why the error? Is it because of the non default mountpoint?

Kind regards
James

james at oi-build:/home/james$ sudo zfs set sharesmb=on rpool/export/home/james
Password:
cannot open 'export/home/james': dataset does not exist
james at oi-build:/home/james$ zfs get sharesmb rpool/export/home/james
NAME                     PROPERTY  VALUE     SOURCE
rpool/export/home/james  sharesmb  on        local