[OpenIndiana-discuss] Not what I expected updating from 151_9 to latest hipster

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Mar 23 00:16:40 UTC 2017

Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru> writes:

> On 22.03.2017 21:40, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> The current rpool was created about a 1.5 mnths ago (Using the 161030
>> iso) Installation is updated as of today.
>>
>> Not sure if that means it has grub in mbr or what.
>>
>> On the web page itself:
>> Underneath  the material posted below is another section:
>
> Hi.
>
> Look at 'zpool status'. If you have rpool on cXtYd0, then you likely
> can zpool attach rpool SecondDrive and that's all.
>
> With MBR devices it can be a bit different, you might have to install
> bootloader
> manually as described here:
> https://www.openindiana.org/2016/09/28/loader-integration/

Nope .. not that lucky I guess

  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

   NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
   rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
     c3t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0

So, it's been partitioned ... now I vaguely remember using
fdisk on it when initally installed.

I may not be really understanding the info at your cited URL above but
it sounds like I need to do the last part and then I'm good to go
ahead mirror attaching.

I'm talking about this:

,----
| # /usr/sbin/installboot -mF \
|    /boot/pmbr /boot/gptzfsboot /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s0
| Updating master boot sector destroys existing boot managers
| (if any).
|
| continue (y/n)? y
|
| bootblock written for /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s0, 216 sectors starting at 1024
| (abs 33154)
|
| stage1 written to slice 1 sector 0 (abs 16065)
| stage1 written to master boot sector
`----

I'm still a little confused still.

And at risk of displaying a non-existent skill level . .

Does that need to be done to both discs of the rpool mirror?
Or does the mirror attaching take care of that?

And does that script action render that the disk bootable or is there
more to do?

One other thing: since I did a `pkg refresh --full' followed by `pkg
update' (on the hipster vm host I'm taking about), earlier today should
that mean that I will have everthing to make that script work onboard?