[OpenIndiana-discuss] ways to move from sliced rpool to gpt/EFI rpool

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 10:23:52 UTC 2017

On 03/23/17 11:18 AM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> On 03/22/17 04:21 PM, Carsten Grzemba wrote:
>> Is there a way to migrate a sliced (mirrored) rpool on disks with
>> msdos partition table to gpt partioned disks (EFI lable)
>> with loader?
>
> You can remove one part of the mirror, attach it as whole disk to
> mirror and then do it for the second part.
>
> https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/182180/2015/02/sort/time_rev/page/1/entry/0:74/20150226170316:3EE4E9A0-BE03-11E4-8A39-E726B1B46E4C/
>

> Be sure to experiment in VM first.

That is the great (and best practices) advice,  but I think he actually
wanted to keep using Partitions/Slices also out of GPT disk(s), too.

Of course it is always better to use full-disk(s) for pools, because of
illumos using disk cache better with fuill-disk, but it is possible to
install and use also GPT partitions and make full-partition slice under
it. (give empty space to installer to make GPT partition and Slice in it)