[OpenIndiana-discuss] Not what I expected updating from 151_9 to latest hipster

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Mar 23 16:25:26 UTC 2017

Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com> writes:

> On 03/22/17 07:40 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> So, I've ordered 2 new 160 gb sata wd diskcs ($16 per disc) to avoid
>> possible problems with boot loader mayhem using my current discs.  And
>> also since I was warned off using IDE which my current discs are.
>
> Also notice that SATA disks working in actual SATA mode and not in ATA
> mode type of disk access,
> depend also on motherboard settings (does BIOS aces mode to disk is
> set to SATA or ATA/legacy),
> and of what Southbridge/Chipset hard disk controller type is and it's
> support in illumos.
> For example, I have older motherboard with intel ICH7
> southbridge/controller and using it's SATA ports, under illumos I get
> disk working in ATA mode, and that is per ICH7/illumos.

Unless that is information I can get while host is up, it will need to
wait until I actually bring it down for the fresh install.

Are there commands that will show controller or motherboard info?
I'm guessing BIOS settings investigation will have to wait for shutdown?

> Also, Benefit of ZFS is that , if using JBOD (Just of bunch of disks)
> hd controller mode, one can easily change controllers, change machines
> or even change architectures (SPARC/x86, endian-agnostic) with same
> disks and have the same data pool available and working on other
> machine (so no vendor lock-in for proprietary SATA/SAS hardware RAID
> controllers).
> Propietary hardware RAID card vendors, seldom lack 'JBOD' feature on
> cheap controllers, for their reasons and partially because they want
> to enforce vendor lock-in and force people from buying the same
> replacement controller cards..
> With JBOD/ OpenZFS one does not depend on hardware anymore :)

Now we're talking...

A brief apology is in order on my thread postings.  I have jumped back
and forth between a fresh install on real hardware and similar work on
vbox vm.  I am sorry about that un-noted jumping around.

However, no one but me seems to have been the least bit confused by it
and helpful answers and suggestions have been forthcoming anyway.

Thank you all.