[OpenIndiana-discuss] ways to move from sliced rpool to gpt/EFI rpool

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 16:56:59 UTC 2017

On 03/23/17 05:32 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 03/22/17 02:21 PM, Carsten Grzemba wrote:
>>> Is there a way to migrate a sliced (mirrored) rpool on disks with
>>> msdos partition table to gpt partioned disks (EFI lable)
>>> with loader?
>> Yes, you fully reformat one drive and do fresh install on it, then
>> vtoc + zpool attach other drives to it.
>> https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/2.1+Post-installation
>> (Or with newest Openindiana hipster snapshot media, installer can take
>> multiple devices and install on them during install.)
>> GPT and MBR disk partition types are mutually exclusive.
> Although other aspects are fully covered, the cited URL does not
> appear to explain what is meant by `fully reformat'.
>
> Can you explain what that means?

Yes start fresh install as said from live media, and give whole disk to
it to make it part of rpool,
As alp said, installer now can use more drives for install, but first
installing on one drive and then use vtoc plus loader reinstall also works.
We're also on #openindiana IRC on Freenode, if you want to fire your
irssi, hexchat or xchat and drop buy.