[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to manage a send over ssh

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Mar 23 18:11:53 UTC 2017

This is my first actual usage of send/receive.  I see the examples
given here:

     https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18752_01/html/819-5461/gbchx.html#gbinw

  host1# zfs send tank/dana at snap1 | ssh host2 zfs recv newtank/dana

Note the `#' sign .. so root is sending, however in all of my installs,
unless measures are taken to defeat the defaults, root cannot login to
a solaris host.

So using the formula above leads to the root passwd not being
accepted.

I attempted to insert the sudo command like so:

   # zfs send tank/dana at snap1 | ssh USER at host2 sudo zfs recv newtank/dana

But the sudo is rejected for lack of a tty.

So how is this normally accomplished.  Does one have to setup a normal
user in some way (I mean besides setting USER role=root) or steps
taken with ssh like some kind of non passwd login?