[OpenIndiana-discuss] import of zpools not exported

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Mar 24 14:33:12 UTC 2017

Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> writes:

> On Thu, 23 Mar 2017, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to import zpools that I forgot to export before shutdown
>> and fresh install.
>>
>> Or will it be best to mount one of the mirrored discs from old install
>> somewhere and just rsync stuff to new zfs fs.
>
> Just add the -f option (zpool import -f tank) if you need to force
> importing the pool.
>
> All of the data is there.  There is default protection in case the
> pool might be accessed by some other system.
>
> Bob

Thanks, I was supprised to find upon reboot of fresh install, that
even though I failed to export the oldpool, it was all set for import
anyway. I ran `zpool import <ENTER>' and the unmounted pool showed up
immediately and was importable with simple `zpool import OLDPOOL'

  I sense brilliant developers at work...