[OpenIndiana-discuss] send/receive .. I expected .zfs directories

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Mar 25 23:33:41 UTC 2017

I just completed my very first send/receive.  I was suprised to find
no .zfs directories once the recv completed.
Did I do something wrong or is that normal?
Am I supposed to create them?

Here is what I did in general.

On send-host I had two fs p0/vb p0/vb/vm
Sent/recv'ed p0/vb and then ditto for p0/vb/vm

on recv host I tried first to just create p0.  But that didn't seem to
work when attempting to send p0/vb. Eventually I tried creating p0/vb
on recv host... then an error message told me to use -F on send host.
So:
  `zfs send -v p0/vb | ssh recv-host zfs recv -vF p0/vb'

That worked.
Then without creating anything more on recv host:

 `zfs send -v p0/vb/vm | ssh recv-host zfs recv -v p0/vb/vm'

And that also worked.

I really don't now what or how experienced people do these things.
I do know that in general the docs on zfs promote using fairly fine
grained fs.  I assume that means as in the case above.

Instead of one fs p0/vb/vm I have two as shown above... Ok when it
comes to sending and receiving those fs, it would seem then that one
must send first p0/vb and then p0/vb/vm If one had fs several layers
deeper or with more endpoints, it seems this could get quite tedious.

I suspect I may be missing the boat here somewhere but lets say it was
even more fine grained.  Like an fs for each vm and one for the ISOs
required.

  p0/vb/
  p0/vb/vm
  p0/vb/vm/vm1
  p0/vb/vm/vm2
  p0/vb/vm/vm3
  p0/vb/vm/vm4
  p0/vb/isos

Then it seem this would require a whole lot of sending receiving, to
move this data.

Seven separate send receives by my count.

So I'm convinced that either fine grainedness is not so wonderful or
I'm really not understanding how this is done.

I wonder how folks with some experience in this stuff, do this sort of
thing?