[OpenIndiana-discuss] mbuffer connection refused on varius ports ... what to try

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Mar 28 13:22:43 UTC 2017

Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> writes:

> On 2017-03-27 07:44 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Just a thought here, you may want to try a different ssh cipher. Give
>>> arcfour a try and see if that is fast enough for you.
>>>
>> Can that be done on ssh command line or must be done in ssh_config?
>>

> command line works:
>
> -c arcfour

But apparently something has to be done on the receiver too.

Currently my two solaris hosts are very busy shifting 400GB or so
using mbuffer/tamp

So, this was just a quick test on linux with an rsync pull from
win64 10 box running cygwin.

I get an error saying there is no matching cipher

Run from destination host:

 rsync -avvz -e 'ssh -c arcfour'  harry at 2x2:/cygdrive/f/vb/vm/iso /

  Unable to negotiate with 192.168.1.20 port 22: no matching cipher
  found. Their offer:

chacha20-poly1305 at openssh.com,aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,aes128-gcm at openssh.com,aes256-gcm at openssh.com

  rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far)
  [Receiver] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12)
  at io.c(226) [Receiver=3.1.2]

I'm not at all familiar with ~/.ssh/config files but tried to use this
on the source host (win 10 running cygwin)

All the examples I googled up seem to be for outgoing ssh cmds, not
incoming. It's not even clear if ~/.ssh/config can handle incoming.

So maybe it cannot be done from command line after all without some
kind of special settings on the source host.

I tried this at ~/.ssh/config on source host.  The host named
in the config is the destination host that is running the rsync cmd.

  Host g1 <= name of linux host
     HostName g1.local.lan   <=same linux host
     Ciphers  arcfour