[OpenIndiana-discuss] What to do when zfs destroy -f or -R or both doesn't destroy

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Mar 30 03:15:10 UTC 2017

Jason Matthews <jason at broken.net> writes:

> Re busy
> What about loop back mounts?
> Any shares of any type?
> Anything like that?
>
> Re failed service
> The local fs error maybe because the system is trying to mount a fs on
> top of a non-empty directory or equivalently two file systems have the
> same mount point.

Thanks for the input... I first hit the `busy' error when zfs destoy the fs and
the error pointed me to a specific snap as being busy.

The snap is one I created... I can tell by the dating system it isn't
from time-slider.  I see that it was created about 2 yrs
ago... 140929.

  Sept 29 2014 ... its located in a /rpub/dv/.zfs/snapshot/140929

With `long ls', I can see by the `+' sign that there is some kind of acl
involved.

ls -l
  drwxrwxrwx+ 52 USER GROUP 129 Sep 15 2014 140929
  (Oddly I see the date does not agree with my date by 14 days)

The only acl type stuff I ever do, is setting smb shares like this:

  /bin/chmod -R A=everone@:full_set:fd:allow /rpub

I'm too dimwitted to figure out how to make connections from windows
machines work without this massive permissiveness being employed.

I haven't actually tested so don't know for sure but Don't think a
command like that would reach into the `.zfs' directory would it?

I looked back in some old .bash_history files that I saved... and found
at 493 commands deep in a 1561 line bash_history file last dated at
Dec 2014

  493:/bin/chmod -R A=everyone@:full_set:fd:allow /rpub

So probably that is the the culprit... but again that command should
not have reached `.zfs/snapshot'

So it may be something completely unrelated... I cannot remember now
what might have happened.

I am pretty sure that nothing current is going on with this snapshot.

All the other snapshots fell by the wayside with `zfs destroy -r' in
that same directory.

I'm about to take the bld 151_9 host involved, off line for reinstall with
hipster.  How would I go about reformatting that disk in some way that
would rid the disk of that 1 lonesome snapshot?