[OpenIndiana-discuss] mbuffer connection refused on varius ports ... what to try

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Mar 30 04:16:20 UTC 2017

Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> writes:

> Just a thought here, you may want to try a different ssh cipher. Give
> arcfour a try and see if that is fast enough for you.
>
> Geoff

I made an attempt to see about the various speeds available
with different Ciphers were like

I didn't use any solaris hosts yet, as I want to ensure there
was no hidden snapshot or the like involved.

Source host       openssh 7.4p1     Windows 10 running cygwin
Destination host  openssh 7.5_p1-r1 Gentoo linux 4.9.10 kenel

The gentoo host is actually running in a vbox vm on the same
windows host ... they have bridged networks setup.

Using default cipher (Not sure what that is or
how to find out.  But the default list below does not
include `arcfour' so It would not be arcfour

 The list of defaults is:

sshd -T |grep [Cc]ipher]

 chacha20-poly1305 at openssh.com,aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,
 aes128-gcm at openssh.com,aes256-gcm at openssh.com

  (on both ends)

(NOTE: I believe they are listed in order of preference so I guess
that means it would be chacha...)

time rsync -avvz ./isos g1:/

real    32m55.694s
user    5m9.918s
sys     9m41.603s

sudo du -sh /isos
29G     /isos

du -sb /isos
30833797326     /isos

28.7 GB

At destination host remove the test data: rm -rf /isos

Now using arcfour

Specified in the cmdline on destination host,but I had to add arcfour
to the defaults on the Source host /etc/ssh/sshd_config

time rsync -avvz -e 'ssh -c arcfour' /isos /

real    34m1.297s
user    4m22.176s
sys     7m30.078s

du -sb /isos
30833797326	/isos
28.7 GB

As you see the default Cipher was barely a minute faster than
the arcfour over 28.7 GB of data.

Absolutely NOT a diffinative test in any way but should at least show
that on this network arcfour is likely to be no faster than the
defaults in recent openssh versions.

I still have to run an mbuffer/tamp transfer to see how that compares.