[OpenIndiana-discuss] Annoying mouse twitchyness [Mate]

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri May 5 13:35:41 UTC 2017

Setup:
  Using Mate desktop on hipster...
  oi updated frequently... most recently yesterday.
  Hardware: HP xw8600 2x Xeon 5074 3.33 Ghz - 32 GB ram
  Mouse hardware: USB Razor - Death adder
  Also ... I work habitually thru a KVM switch and have for
  years.

Sorry to bring something seemingly almost silly here but the annoyance
factor has gotten quite high and my meager attempts to fix... are not
seeming to have any effect.

of an open window like an xterm, ff  etc takes seconds to accomplish.
The cursor turning to a corner looking icon that allows to resize
jitters on and off so bad it can take a lot of effort just to resize.

Admittedly, my hands are less than perfect instruments due to a
lifetime of heavy construction work with sledge hammers, large impact
wrenches and etc.  But I do not have this same degree of trouble on
other OS's and desktops.

Solutions tried:

Mate preferences:
System > Preferences > Hardware > mouse

I see no difference in mouse control when setting `Acceleration' and
`Sensitivity'  max high or max: low doesn't seem to have any effect at
all.

Xset  Googled up several setting supposed to work with xset but again
see no change in actual behavior.

`xset m 1/2 0'  (Supposed to be a nice slow mouse)
`xset m default' (Supposed to be middle of the road)
`xset q | grep -A 1 Pointer' (To show current settings)

Mine are:
  xset q | grep -A 1 Pointer
  Pointer Control:
  acceleration:  1/2    threshold:  0

xinput:
Googling showed some pure X11 xorg techiques using `xinput'

But again  Mate seemingly does not know about xinput cmds.

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

I use this same mouse on windows, linux, x86 solaris and until
updating to hipster about 1 month or so ago I used it on OI
(non-hipster with that default desktop).

To be sure, I do experience some (much lighter or less aggravating )
problems controlling this mouse.  But it seems considerably touchier
on Hipster/mate.

Query: Do any of you here experience this kind of problem with mice on
desktop Mate on OI hipster. If so, have any of you found solutions
that make the mouse more stable and easier to capture the corners of
application windows?

I don't currently have any other mice to experiment with.