[OpenIndiana-discuss] NMS software for snmp-based network monitoring that runs on OI? What's your favourite?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed May 10 21:54:53 UTC 2017

On May 10, 2017 11:21:35 AM GMT+03:00, Hans J Albertsson <hans.j.albertsson at gmail.com> wrote:
>We have a bunch of 3com/HP V1910 switches with a zywall usg2000 as a
>central router and access to internet. We now realise we need to
>monitor
>and manage this much more effectively.
>
>What we're hoping for is to be able to perform post-mortems when
>network
>problems have occurred. These are typically reported by individual
>users
>several hours after the fact.
>
>What NMSes are you using, any that will run in OI?
>

>Hans J. Albertsson
>From my Nexus 5

As a data point, I often use SDig (switch digger), which is a mix of scripts from early 2000's to query ARP and similar tables over SNMP, allowing to find a path to that offending IP or MAC address that you find in logs, emailed complaints, etc. so you can pinpoint it to switch-port and so hardware/location (nowadays, often to the host of a VM). Or to find "where does that VM/zone/... run from, so I can login to the host and manage it?"

It may be a mediocre solution to absence of 100% coverage with asset management, but in e.g. BYOD or end-user populace networks, you can't have that anyway. So I'd say the tool is a useful one, when accompanied by some others in a toolkit. It does not quite fit the OP requested profile with history for postmortems etc... though thinking of it, you can just crontab a job to directly request and save SNMP tables from switches into e.g. git ;)

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Redmi Android