[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cannot install or uninstall Vbox older version blocking the way

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu May 11 19:45:28 UTC 2017

On May 11, 2017 9:49:24 PM GMT+03:00, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
>Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> writes:
>
>> The error message sounds like something that my
>> https://github.com/jimklimov/vboxconfig_sh tries to alleviate.
>Indeed,
>> after the different Solaris and illumos distros split ways, it became
>> very difficult to guess for a script whether a needed kernel/feature
>> level is available.
>>
>> You can apply the patch from that repo to the installed copy of
>> original Oracle Virtualbox script, to have it remove the bits
>cleanly,
>> hopefully.
>
>So do you mean use it only to get the uninstall cleaned up but not to
>use it for an install too? Or for both?
>
>Thanks for the tip and for putting in the work
>
>I ask about using the patch for an install becaused:
>
>Trying to follow the directions in the README file in the cloned set of
>files:
>
>There appears to be three patches in that git clone at
>
>https://github.com/jimklimov/vboxconfig_sh
>
>once downloaded:
>
>  ls -l *patch*
>
>... 7958 May 11 14:07 vboxconfig.sh.patch
>
>... 6862 May 11 14:07 vboxconfig.sh.patch-20150309-vs-4.3.24
>
>... 7958 May 11 14:07
>vboxconfig_sh/vboxconfig.sh.patch-20150624-vs-4.3.24
>
>Two appear to be the same size and same content:
>
>diff vboxconfig_sh/vboxconfig.sh.patch
>     vboxconfig_sh/vboxconfig.sh.patch-20150624-vs-4.3.24
>
><no output>
>
>The patch from Mar 9 2015 has about 1100 fewer characters and
>14 fewer lines
>
>Commentary in the newer patch:
>
> < Compared to the March 2015 patch, this one supports the new PKG FMRI
> < numbering scheme present in OpenIndiana Hipster-2015.0 repositories.
> < Also it has been tested to apply to upstream release versions 4.3.28
>< and 5.0rc1 (some fuzz and offset messages may be reported by gpatch).
>
>The newest patch is almost 2 yrs old.  The newest vbox version (5.1.22)
>
>is from last month I think...
>
>So before I bugger something up with my ill-informed bungling, can
>anyone say if this newest patch is likely to work with vbox 5.1.22 or
>should I be getting an older version of vbox to try it on?

For me, the last Oracle-released Virtualbox package that got installed was a recent 5.0.x one. The 5.1.x need qt5 and some differently-named packages as dependencies, so there were efforts to roll OI's own. I did not yet look into replacing its config-scripts or whether that would help.

Sorry, on the road - can't help more ATM.

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Redmi Android