[OpenIndiana-discuss] To the OmniOS, OI and SmartOS community

Guenther Alka gea at napp-it.org
Thu May 18 09:53:29 UTC 2017

At the moment OmniOS is a free Illumos distribution that is exclusively
maintained inside OmniTi without any community involved, similar to
Nexenta or SmartOS with the unique key features support, free, stables
every 6 months and long term stables every two years with a dedicated
repo, freeze of features and backported fixes.

There are many users who want exact these OmniOS features not available
in OI.
The discussion now is if such an effort should be based on the current
OmniOS bloody
or can be based on a common development effort together with the OI
community.

I want the discussion going into a common future as I fear that a new
separate OmniOS community effort will only weaken Illumos/OI and cannot
survive in the long term.  My hope is that a stronger OI/OmniOS is the
outcome instead where OmniOS is a stable add-on feature for OI snapshots.

Gea