[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hijacking of Shift-F5

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu May 18 19:37:56 UTC 2017

Jean-Pierre André <jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Hi,
>
> [new thread as a follow-up to a similar one by Harry Putnam]
>

>>> I'm guessing the main OS (oi-hipster) has in someway hijacked
>>> exclusive use of CTRL key.  But I have no idea how to begin to fix
>>> this.
>>
>> It turns out the above statement was right.  The way the HOST os
>> hi-jacked the ctrl key:
>>
>> In the preference settings under: Preferences => hdware => mouse
>>
>> There is a check box at `Locate Pointer'
>>    <show postition of pointer when control is pressed>
>>
>> I had it checked.  Unchecking that box will free the control key to work
>> inside Vbox vms.
>
> How did you hunt this ?

Just googling around with various search strings ... I think the one
that hit the the post was `no control key inside Vbox vms'

It was a virtualbox forum when I opened the google hit:

  https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=10226#p40593

> I have a similar problem with Shift-F5 which is hijacked
> by some code I cannot locate. Apparently this does not
> reach Xorg (xev does not see the KeyPress event), so I
> cannot redefine it.
>
> I thought it was hijacked by the nvidia driver, as I got
> the normal behavior on a computer with Intel graphics, but
> this was with vesa emulation. The Intel graphics driver
> can now be used, and the hijacking now also shows up on
> this computer.
>
> So this must be an OI/illumos thing (or at least something
> common to nvidia and intel drivers but not the vesa one).
> How can I locate and un-hijack it ?
>
> Note : Shift-F5 causes a screen blink. Is it taken for
> a screen copy or a screen print ?

What desktop are you talking about?  MATE?

Don't have a good answer but it might be worth checking all the
settings in Preferences if you have set anything there.

Also, I'd hazard a guess that there must be a page online that shows
MATES shortcut keys:

Ah .. here it is:

https://keyboardshortcuts.org/mate-keyboard-shortcuts