[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to tell for sure what bit your OS is?

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri May 26 11:26:23 UTC 2017

Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> writes:

> On 05/25/17 02:10 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> How can quickly tell what bit my Hipster 2017.04 is?
>
> "isainfo -kv" will tell you which kernel is running.

And so it does... thanks:

sudo isainfo -kv
64-bit amd64 kernel modules

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

jason matthews <jason at broken.net> writes:

> On 5/25/17 2:17 PM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> "isainfo -kv" will tell you which kernel is running.
>
> winner winner chicken dinner.
>
> isainfo is the most elegant way i know of.

I liked that show too.  That saying has stuck in my head ever since I
saw it... but cannot remember the name now, or the young actors name.

Jonathan Adams <t12nslookup at gmail.com> writes:

> Much better than the Linux "file 'which file'" (with back ticks) ...

sudo  file `which file`
/usr/bin/file:  ELF 32-bit LSB executable 80386 Version 1, dynamically
linked, not stripped, no debugging information available

Er... looks like one of the techniques has got it wrong

Or does something else explain this?