[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to tell for sure what bit your OS is?

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Fri May 26 12:06:17 UTC 2017

On 05/25/17 11:18 PM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 05/25/17 02:13 PM, Will Brokenbourgh wrote:
>> On 05/25/17 14:10, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>> How can quickly tell what bit my Hipster 2017.04 is?
>>
>> Have you tried:
>>
>> uname -a
>
> The Solaris/openSolaris/illumos kernel doesn't change any of the values
> in uname between 32 & 64-bit kernels, much to the confusion of users of
> kernels which do.
>
>     -alan-

Thanks Alan.

And that's because both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries works on the same
kernel at the same time.
That's why isainfo  gives both architectures:
$ isainfo
amd64 i386

$ isainfo -v
64-bit amd64 applications
        ssse3 cx16 sse3 sse2 sse fxsr mmx cmov amd_sysc cx8 tsc fpu
32-bit i386 applications
        ssse3 ahf cx16 sse3 sse2 sse fxsr mmx cmov sep cx8 tsc fpu
(This is old E5200 without VT instructions)

And because of that, installation media was always able to install on
both 32-bit and 64-bit hardware, whereas today one should use 64-bit
hardware only it you want to be supported, but 32-bit and 64-bit
binaries continue to work.
Solaris kernel supported 64-bit since 1997, so it's about time :)

Interestingly, on amd64 x86, 64--bit apps are supposedly bit faster, but
also use more RAM.
but on SPARC, 32-bit apps are faster then 64bit (less bits to move).