[OpenIndiana-discuss] [discuss] OpenIndiana iso boot problem using GRUB2

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 21:55:34 UTC 2017

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Ganapathy S A <gs.magesh at gmail.com> wrote:

> ​​Hello All,
>
> Booted the four illumos distributions (iso): SmartOS, OmniOSce, Tribblix,
> and OpenIndiana by following this SmartOS wiki
> <https://wiki.smartos.org/display/DOC/Booting+SmartOS+from+GRUB2>. All
> booted properly but OpenIndiana! I know this isn't the recommended way to
> boot but this seems very convenient, i.e., download the iso image, then
> boot either by burning it to CD/DVD or by using GRUB2 like most Linux
> distributions do! Please have a look at the boot message and the grub.cfg
> file below.

The fundamental difference here is that the ISO for
SmartOS/OmniOSce/Tribblix has a boot_archive
that is a complete instance of the OS, whereas OpenIndiana has a split-root
structure where it
subsequently mounts /usr from a file on the media.

If you want to boot OI this way then you need some way of fooling it into
finding the solaris.zlib file
where it's expecting it. It looks for physical USB or optical media, which
I'm guessing you're trying to
avoid. The other option might be to fool it into thinking it's doing a
network boot by adding something like
-B install_media=http://some.site/location/
where that URL contains the two .zlib files off the iso. But generally the
old Caiman boot/install
didn't have this kind of boot mechanism in mind when it was developed.

(Earlier versions of Tribblix and OmniOS also had the same split-off /usr,
but both have changed to a
single archive to make implementation easier and more flexible.)

--
-Peter Tribble