[OpenIndiana-discuss] switching from Ubuntu

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at outstep.com
Tue Nov 7 00:34:26 UTC 2017

Greetings All,

I have used many operating systems over the years and lately have been
using Windows (all flavors) as well as Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS, Gentoo,
etc...) bu mostly have been using Ubuntu 16.04 as my desktop for some time
now.

Currently, I am gearing up to do a couple of projects which have the
Illumos base which are in the SmartOS arena, but it made me start to wonder
if I should also consider loading up OpenIndiana Hipster as my desktop so
that I can become more familiar with it as it seems to have many
similarities as SmartOS and wanted to get the opinion of the OI community
as to what they thought about it as a day-to-day OS?

Mostly just exploring the possibility of nuking Ubuntu in favor of
installing OI for a while to see how it runs.

Any comments, experiences, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great night,
Lonnie