[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster Oct 2017 virtualbox 5.2.0 guest additions?

Michael Huff mphuff at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 00:40:29 UTC 2017

Hi. I have just downloaded and installed Hipster Oct 2017 and tried to
load it into Virtualbox 5.2.0 (Windows 10 host).

I tried installing guest additions through the "autorun" prompt, but got
a X-related failure which disappeared (I pressed the wrong key combo).

I uninstalled SUNWvboxguest with pkgrm, and then reinstalled the guest
additions with pkgadd -d ./VBoxSolarisAdditions.pkg in
/media/VBOXADDITIONS_5.2.1_118430

I got (what looks like) the same error as when I tried to install it
from the auto-run prompt;

/opt/VirtualBoxAdditions/VBoxService <linked pathname>
/opt/VirtualBoxAdditions/vboxmslnk <linked pathname>
[ verifying class <manifest> ]
## Executing postinstall script.
Uncompressing files...
Configuring VirtualBox guest kernel module...
VirtualBox guest kernel module loaded.
VirtualBox pointer integration module loaded.
Creating links...
*** //opt/VirtualBoxAdditions/i386/vboxvideo_drv_119.so or
//opt/VirtualBoxAdditions/amd64/vboxvideo_drv_119.so not found!
*** X.org 1.19.5 not supported by this package!
*** Failed to install the VirtualBox X.org drivers.
Configuring client...
Installing 64-bit shared folders module...
Installing 32-bit shared folders module...
Configuring services (this might take a while)...
Enabling services...
Updating boot archive...
Done.
pkgadd: ERROR: postinstall script did not complete successfully

Installation of <SUNWvboxguest> partially failed.
root at virtiana:/media/VBOXADDITIONS_5.2.1_118430#

...one bit of weirdness I notice off the bat is that the mount folder
indicates that it's VB 5.2.1/build 118430; but "Help -> about" in
virtualbox says it's 5.2.0/build 118431. To save bandwidth I've saved it
to imgur and you can see it here; https://i.imgur.com/hGslkvK.png

I'm assuming others have run into this as well, and I vaguely remember
it being talked about a couple months (?) ago. I'm wondering if there's
any work-around for this, or do I have to wait for Hipster's xorg to
catch up?

Thank you for  your time and your work!