[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to fix broken locale ?

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 22:50:33 UTC 2017

Hi Flemming

Which locale the system uses should not matter. as long as it is
installed. C is the default and basicly does no translation with gettext
(I think). Or at least it is that Language which always has Message
files in /usr/share/locale.

In any case the situation is pretty simple.

The Zone Installation via pkg does not install locale/en and
locale/en-extra packages. Thus your locale is not installed.
Install those packages should fix it. Maybe also text/locale needs to be
installed.

I per default set my locale to C on my zones as I not need anything
fancy date/currency or other display wise. My zones mostly host webapps
which have their own implementation independatn of the zones locale setting.

Hope this helps.
Greetings
Till

On 26.11.2017 23:27, Flemming Dalsgaard wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Yes this is a zone and I connect via ssh.
>
> You are right zlogin behaves differently. In may case it set all LC's to
> "C" and LANG=""
> I don't get any complaints about locale but its not really correct is it ?
> I would expect it to be en_US.UTF-8 as in the init file.
>
> pkg list *locale*
> NAME (PUBLISHER)
> VERSION                    IFO
> locale/en
> 0.5.11-2017.0.0.16853      i--
> locale/en-extra
> 0.5.11-2017.0.0.16853      i--
> system/install/locale
> 0.5.11-2013.0.0.0          i--
> system/locale/support/english
> 0.1-2013.0.0.0             i--
> text/locale
> 0.5.11-2017.0.0.16853      i--
>
> Hmm no en_US.UTF-8 in /usr/share/locale
>
> The zone are new. Well created with the GZ's 2017.04 and updated to 2017.10
> but the GZ goes way back and have lived for 15+ years starting off as
> Solaris 8 moving to OpenSolaris and now running OI for the last 5? years.
>
> Thanks
> Flemming
>

> On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 10:59 PM, Till Wegmüller <toasterson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey
>>
>> I noticed a similar issue when logging into a zone via ssh. It works for
>> me via zlogin.
>>
>> Are you inside a zone connecting via SSH?
>>
>> What is the output of pkg list *locale* ?
>>
>> Does en_US.UTF-8 exist in /usr/share/locale/ ?
>>
>> How have you installed the system and when? With which medium?
>>

>> Greetings
>> Till
>>
>> On 26.11.2017 19:38, Flemming Dalsgaard wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I am stuck on a issue with locale not working.
>>> It was discovered when pkg started issuing the following messages on
>>> invocation:
>>> # pkg search -rp rcs
>>> pkg: Unable to set locale; locale package may be broken or
>>> not installed.  Reverting to C locale.
>>> PACKAGE                                     PUBLISHER
>>>
>>> Also perl does not like it..
>>> perl -v
>>> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>>> perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
>>>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>>>         LC_MONETARY = "en_US.UTF-8",
>>>         LC_COLLATE = "en_US.UTF-8",
>>>         LC_CTYPE = "UTF-8",
>>>         LC_NUMERIC = "en_US.UTF-8",
>>>         LC_MESSAGES = "C",
>>>         LC_TIME = "en_US.UTF-8",
>>>         LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
>>>     are supported and installed on your system.
>>> perl: warning: Falling back to a fallback locale ("en_US.UTF-8").
>>> This is perl 5, version 22, subversion 4 (v5.22.4) built for
>>> i86pc-solaris-64int
>>>
>>> locale -a shows i have en_US.UTF-8 installed
>>> i have the following locale packages installed (and reinstalled)
>>> local/en
>>> text/locale
>>> system/locale/support/english
>>> system/install/locale
>>>
>>> My /etc/default/init include:
>>> TZ=Europe/Copenhagen
>>> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>>> LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
>>> LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
>>> LC_MESSAGES="C"
>>> LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
>>> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
>>> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
>>>
>>> But still locale returns:
>>> # locale
>>> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>>> LC_CTYPE="C"
>>> LC_NUMERIC="C"
>>> LC_TIME="C"
>>> LC_COLLATE="C"
>>> LC_MONETARY="C"
>>> LC_MESSAGES=C
>>> LC_ALL=
>>>
>>> Any ideas on I reinitialize locale to fix this ?
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>> Flemming