[OpenIndiana-discuss] [openindiana-discuss]OI KVM status on host AMD CPUs

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 08:35:18 UTC 2017

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 7:55 AM, Rares Aioanei <schaiba at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
> The OI virtualization wiki states that at the moment, KVM host support
> is limited to modern Intel CPUs. However, the page seems outdated
> (2014, if memory serves), so my question is : do you guys know of any
> recent progress on AMD support?

Nothing much recent. There have been a couple of forks working in that
direction:

https://github.com/jclulow/illumos-kvm

https://github.com/chneukirchen/illumos-kvm

One problem, I imagine, is that those people with the skills to add
AMD support don't have any AMD hardware, as it's almost completely
vanished from the market.

> And also, I couldn't find the code
> that enables OI to serve as host, if anyone can point me in the right
> direction, I'd appreciate it.
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Rares Aioanei