[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana Intro questions

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at outstep.com
Mon Oct 23 15:21:51 UTC 2017

Greetings All,

I have recently been playing around a little with SmartOS for running
containers and hypervizing VM's for which it seems to work pretty well, and
wanted to also investigate the desktop side of things as well so I hope
that someone on the list will answer a few rudimentary questions to get me
going with my OI explorations.

I know that SmartOS can be a hypervisor to run the Linux, and Windows OS's
as VM's in zones, but I was wondering if OpenIndiana was able to hypervize
these OS's as well?

Basically, I am trying to find out if, beyond the desktop targeting of OI,
and the server targeting of SmartOS, are there any other major differences
in these distributions?

Also, in some basic reading and browsing, it seems that Illumos has the
ability to do some GPU passthrough, if I remember what I ready albeit not
too widespread, and I wanted to know if OpenIndiana had the same, or
similar capabilities?

Any information that you might be willing to provide would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks again and have a great day,
Lonnie