[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana Intro questions

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at outstep.com
Mon Oct 23 19:13:41 UTC 2017

Thanks All,

You have some great information here and I'll dig more into this to see
what may, or may not, be possible.

John, you are correct in that the idea, if at all possible, was to run the
X-Server inside a container/vm and keep the core IllumOS/OpenIndiana to the
absolute minimum in side as well but that may not be achievable.

I did find that VNC has DirectVNC for working with the framebuffer (
http://drinkmilk.github.io/directvnc/) and am exploring it more now.

More than like, I will have to run some type of native X-Server and then
remote into the VM's with VNC or FreeRDP, etc... I was just hoping for a
better solution that this pathway.

I'll also look more into OpenIndiana and OmniOS as well.

Cheers and thanks again for the help,
Lonnie