[OpenIndiana-discuss] So is Solaris officially supported till 2034?

Gabriele Bulfon gbulfon at sonicle.com
Tue Sep 5 16:14:30 UTC 2017

...you picked up my concerns...and we're already thinking about possible new paths for our XStreamOS...
Sonicle S.r.l.
:
http://www.sonicle.com
Music:
http://www.gabrielebulfon.com
Quantum Mechanics :
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/gabrielebulfon
Da: Udo Grabowski (IMK)
A: Discussion list for OpenIndiana
Data: 5 settembre 2017 13.37.41 CEST
Oggetto: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] So is Solaris officially supported till 2034?
On 05/09/2017 12:45, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
The real concern is...in the short or long period, how much support for Solaris kernels can we expect from third parties such VMware?
They may completely remove the "Oracle Solaris 11 64bit" from the list of supported VMs.
This may happen elsewhere, as happened recently at MongoDB.
This may hurt the illumos ecosystem in the short/long term.
What do you think?
Sonicle S.r.l.
I think we will this see very quickly, all third-party vendors
will cease Solaris SPARC and x86 support on short notice, especially
NVIDIA, which will practically end the possibility to use any illumos
derivative on the desktop on a midterm timescale. Since we as a
research institute depend on third-party support this will more
sooner than later force us to move to Linux, regardless if we want
this or not. So reality will terminate OI, only specialized use in
the storage domain may survive some time, but also there driver
support will sooner or later completely evaporate.
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski Inst.f.Meteorology &Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php