[OpenIndiana-discuss] So is Solaris officially supported till 2034?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 14:09:58 UTC 2017

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Gabriele Bulfon <gbulfon at sonicle.com>
wrote:

> The real concern is...in the short or long period, how much support for
> Solaris kernels can we expect from third parties such VMware?
> They may completely remove the "Oracle Solaris 11 64bit" from the list of
> supported VMs.
> This may happen elsewhere, as happened recently at MongoDB.
> This may hurt the illumos ecosystem in the short/long term.

The solution here is quite simple. Make sure that the suppliers of software
that you need
are aware that there is demand from Solaris/illumos users.

For commercial products, this involves using the product and paying for it.
You can't expect
vendors to spend hard cash supporting a platform that doesn't generate
revenue.

For open source projects, get involved. Engage with the project, submit bug
reports, feedback,
fixes, and generally be visible.

Generally, many projects want to be as widely adopted as possible, and
welcome engagement
from as wide a user base as possible. For most projects out there, any
offer of help will be
welcomed with open arms. If we all just picked one or two of our favourite
projects and dived
in, that would help greatly.

--
-Peter Tribble