[OpenIndiana-discuss] No rootfs module provided

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 8 13:34:32 UTC 2017

I just put together a system with a ASUS B350M-A system board, an AMD
Ryzen 3 1200 CPU and an ASUS HD 6450 Silent video card.

When I attempt to boot the OI-hipster-gui-20170502 DVD on this system,
I get the boot menu normally, but it's followed by these three lines:

    Booting...
    No rootfs module provided, aborting

What's missing?  Is it in illumos yet?

The OI-hipster-gui-20160421 DVD gives me the GRUB menu, but hangs part
way through the parade of dots.  I presume this is an example of the
short read problem.

The sol-11_3-live-x86 gives me the GRUB menu, the console messages,
and the GUI.  When I ran the device driver utility, it stopped at CPU.
I presume that's because it doesn't have a CPU driver.

I'm considering my options.