[OpenIndiana-discuss] /hipster: question about /proc

Predrag Zečević - Technical Support Analyst predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Fri Sep 29 13:55:14 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I got today alert (actually blinking TimeSlider icon) that root FS is
more than 70% in use (that is my setup).

Went to check what occupies so much space, and found:
$ pfexec du -sch /*
76G     /proc

I was confused, so:
$ ps -Zef| grep 22973
   global    mysql 22973     1   0   Sep 27 ?         419:56
/opt/MySQL/5.7_32/bin/mysqld --user=mysql --datadir=/var/MySQL/data/5.7
--pid-f

Well, that is self compiled 32bit version of MySQL server (we need it
for some reason)...

What is using so much memory (top shows almost nothing)?

After server bouncing, I got 4GB usage for MySQL PID /proc space, which
is normal.

Maybe my compilation leaks memory? Or MySQL setup needs tweak (some tmp
files created in memory)?

I am just curious if someone else spotted similar problem.
Also, I know that I can truss process - but what if that generates
another big file (I cannot seat and watch truss output)?

Regards.

P.S: rpool is installed to 256GB SSD drive, and /opt and /var/MySQL are
located on HD zfs file systems
--
Predrag Zečević
Technical Support Analyst

tel: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 15
mob: +49 - 174 - 3109288
fax: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 94
e-mail: predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

headquarter: 2e Systems GmbH, Koenigsteiner Str. 87, 65812 Bad Soden am
Taunus, Germany
registration: Amtsgericht Koenigstein (Germany), HRB 7303
managing director: Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!