[OpenIndiana-discuss] "OINK": a short story

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Sat Apr 14 09:59:08 UTC 2018

Hello to the world

"i had a dream"

Recently i got the opinion to change from ubuntu to something "better".
No problem, yes, but this is the famliy notebook and so there are the
following requirements resulting from different user types:
-firefox/thunderbird
-libreoffice
-simple-scan or Skanlite or something that simple
-TexStudio
-android tools for backup
-VM host, preferably free
-Truecrypt/Veracrypt (switch to zfs encryption..)
-geany/ecplise/codelite and such
-...

Starting with SuseLinux 5.0 on a 486DX2-66 up to ubuntu on a Core2duo i
have some history on using Linux. I am running Openindiana on a small
home server now for about 2 years, without having to work on it that
much:-) My first idea was: it might be better to try some BSD for a
homeoffice laptop. I was disappointed of how much details i had to do
manually, i didn't expect this with (Free)BSD. QEMU on bsd is so slow
that it is not usable. VirtualBox is good but i would like to use
something with a unlimited free licence.

OpenIndiana is now declared the OS of choice. (Yeah!) So the title of my
short story is an abbreviation of "OpenIndiana New Knowledge"->"OINK" ;-)

The topmost feature of a linux distribution is that everything you might
think of is integrated and packaged into one source. Its like a
unlimited source of milk and honey. I belive that for the most out of
it, there is a way to get things working on OpenIndiana, too. But the
things are more complicated with BSD and Openindiana as there are
several sources of choice to get the software one desires.

Up to now the following goals are reached: Firefox, Thunderbird,
LibreOffice, Virtualbox. The next steps are: Simple-Scanning, TexStudio,
adb, and the switch from Virtualbox to qemu-kvm..
As i have only small time slices to work on this, it will nedd some time
to assembly the pieces from pkg "localhostoih", pkgsrc "joyent/smartos",
oi-userland and raw-github-sources just to citate some vocabulary well
known to the most of you..

By the way - how to integrate the pkgsrc-applications located in
/opt/local/bin to the (pkg) mate application menu?

This evening, when my little baby child will be sleeping, maybe, then i
will take care of one of the next steps. Somewhen in the future -
hopefully - all will be running as i like it :-)

Stephan