[OpenIndiana-discuss] VirtualBox 5.2.14 crashing when attempting to start VM

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 08:45:17 UTC 2018

On 14.08.2018 10:28, Predrag Zečević - Technical Support Analyst wrote:
>> Did the Workaround work?
> Yes, we have added it to wiki
>>>>
>> https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/7.2+VirtualBox#id-72VirtualBox-Virtualizationfeatures

I am a bit confused. Did that workaround work for your current case? If
so why are you asking for a Workaround?

Or was the problem that pkg overwrote 'set disable_smap=1' in /etc/system ?

It looks like that back in the day Virtualbox used an undefined
behaviour to access user data. Looks like a bug in Virtualbox to me. Os
and other devs can workaround it but ultimately If I read Rmustacs
comment correctly on the given illumos bug, then Virtualbox should use
the proper Driver Framework methods to get user data instead of IOctl's.
So unless the behave properly in modern Solarisch OSes there will always
be problem's.

Greetings
Till