[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster 2018.04 snapshot

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Aug 19 13:36:51 UTC 2018

Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru> writes:

> Hi.
>
> OI Hipster 2018.04 snapshot is ready.
>
> Images:
>
> http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/20180427/OI-hipster-gui-20180427.iso
> http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/20180427/OI-hipster-gui-20180427.usb
>
> http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/20180427/OI-hipster-text-20180427.iso
> http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/20180427/OI-hipster-text-20180427.usb
>
> http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/20180427/OI-hipster-minimal-20180427.iso
> http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/20180427/OI-hipster-minimal-20180427.usb

Been out of touch for some months, would now like to update a couple
of Oracle vms as a trial run toward updating my main Hdw installation
of OI.

The vms are installed/running on OI (The eventual update target):
  The Illumos Project  SunOS 5.11   illumos-a356818ef9   February 2018

installed vm current version is:

  The Illumos Project  SunOS 5.11   illumos-8c33116662   January 2018

So about 7 months old.

I would like to know if I am likely to run into serious problems just
using the normal update process: `pkg -v update' or if better off to
do fresh install from latest image?

As mentioned the aim is to have a trial run at updating an older version
from Jan 2018 to current image with an eye toward updating an actual
hdw install to current following the trial run on vm

Have there been such significant changes since Jan/Feb as to render a
plain `pkg -v update' a non-starter or a likely disaster?