[OpenIndiana-discuss] ghostscript / ImageMagick security problems

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 21:11:15 UTC 2018

I've been aware of the Postscript issue for a very long time.  I never encountered it, but I read about the Crusty the Clown image that wiped your hard drive.

With multifunction printers I suspect that even the builtin PS interpreters are a hazard.

My primary system is a Sol 10 u8 machine on an air gapped network with a duplexing Brother printer.  Fortunately it's connected via a Netgear printserver, so it would take a very complex exploit to reach the Sol 10 box. If PDFs get converted to Postscript for printing, then I probably need to take ZFS snapshots before  printing random material.