[OpenIndiana-discuss] Huge ZFS root pool slowdown - diagnose root cause?

Lou Picciano LouPicciano at comcast.net
Thu Dec 13 21:14:46 UTC 2018

The plot thickens, I’m afraid. Since last post, I’ve replaced the drive, and throughput remains molasses-in-January slow…
period indicated below is more than 24 hours:

  scan: resilver in progress since Wed Dec 12 15:13:11 2018
        26.9G scanned out of 1.36T at 345K/s, (scan is slow, no estimated time)
    26.9G resilvered, 1.93% done
config:

        NAME                STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool               DEGRADED     0     0     0
          mirror-0          DEGRADED     0     0     0
            replacing-0     DEGRADED     0     0     0
              c2t0d0s0/old  OFFLINE      0     0     0
              c2t0d0s0      ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2t1d0s0        ONLINE       0     0     0

I have added boot blocks during silvering, but have used the bootadm install-bootloader approach. Reports it’s done this (not GRUB; aren’t we on the Boot Forth loader now?),

"/usr/sbin/installboot -F -m -f //boot/pmbr //boot/gptzfsboot /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s0”
"/usr/sbin/installboot -F -m -f //boot/pmbr //boot/gptzfsboot /dev/rdsk/c2t1d0s0"

Will double-check this when silvering completes. Could be a long time… Machine has not been rebooted yet at all.

Bob, yes: This is a 4K sector drive. Bad? What’s the impact?

Slowness at boot: Yes, immediately. Well before scrub or any other process had had a chance to grab hold.

What’s next? Could it be as simple as a cable? These cables haven’t been perturbed in… a long time.

Can’t do anything safely now until this silvering is completed, correct?

Wow. A mess.

Lou Picciano