[OpenIndiana-discuss] Huge ZFS root pool slowdown - diagnose root cause?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 21:31:11 UTC 2018

On Thu, 12/13/18, Lou Picciano <LouPicciano at comcast.net> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Huge ZFS root pool slowdown - diagnose root cause?
 To: "Discussion list for OpenIndiana" <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
 Date: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 3:14 PM

 [snip]

 What’s next? Could it be as simple as a cable? These cables haven’t been perturbed
 in… a long time.

Lou,

My SOP initial action with disk drive issues  for 30 years has been to reseat all the cable connectors and swap the cable if that doesn't resolve it.  Only then do I start investigating other causes.

I was having problems with a SATA DVD drive on one of my Z400s.  When the above didn't resolve the issue, I tried a different SATA port.  That did resolve the problem.  So now I have a note on the inside of the case saying that that port is bad.

Reg