[OpenIndiana-discuss] Latest /hipster update problem (cannot remove network/ssh-askpass/zenity package)

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Feb 13 16:05:41 UTC 2018

On January 27, 2018 4:05:20 PM UTC, Jim Klimov <jim at cos.ru> wrote:
>On January 26, 2018 9:18:33 AM UTC, "Predrag Zečević - Technical
>Support Analyst" <predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com> wrote:
>>On 01/25/18 20:57, alp at sfedu.ru wrote:

>>> ssh depends on ssh-askpass if xserver-common is installed.
>>> ssh-askpass depends on ssh-askpass/zenity if zenity is installed.
>>> So, if you have zenity, ssh and xserver-common installed, you need
>>> ssh-askpass/zenity in your system :)
>>
>>OK,
>>accepting explanation, but it looks like I do not understand its use
>>properly...
>>
>>When I log-in to OI MATE (for example after update of BE and reboot),
>>ssh-askpas zenity pops-up and asks for key password (I would expect
>>that
>>it will be saved to keystore).
>>
>>As soon as I try to do ssh to some box, another window pops-up ans ask
>
>>fo key password.
>>
>>Where I am making mistake?
>>
>>With best regards.
>>Predrag Zečević
>>--
>>Predrag Zečević
>>Technical Support Analyst
>>2e Systems GmbH
>>
>>tel: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 15
>>mob: +49 - 174 - 3109288
>>fax: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 94
>>e-mail: predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
>>
>>headquarter: 2e Systems GmbH, Koenigsteiner Str. 87, 65812 Bad Soden
>am
>>
>>Taunus, Germany
>>registration: Amtsgericht Koenigstein (Germany), HRB 7303
>>managing director: Phil Douglas
>>
>>http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!

>Interesting ... I upgraded recently, and see this behavior too. It
>worked with code from a couple of months back, so something recent
>broke it.
>
>I'd prefer have this restored, so I type my keypass once while
>preparing the session to work, and not get hiccups to enter keys when I
>actually do get to (net-)work...
>
>Jim
>--
>Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android

Hi,

I finally dug into the issue with details to be seen in OI IRC weblog.

The short outcome seems to be that the ssh-agent wraps the start of mate-session somehow, and as part of the session the gnome-keyring-daemon manager starts and hijacks the SSH_AUTH* envvars.

After some back and forth, I just did a `chmod -x /usr/bin/gnome-keyring*` and restarted X11 e.g. `systemctl restart lightdm` and got back the ssh-agent provided variables in env, so with my ~/.xsession including a

  /usr/bin/ssh-add </dev/null &

to ask for key password as soon as I log in (not when I first want to use it), and with ssh-askpass-zenity being the default (symlinked) implementation of password input for the job, things again work as I'm used to ;)

I'd let someone smarter with X11 to figure out why gnome keyring manager is so rude when another ssh-agent is already active.

Nothing seems broken as result of a quick inspection, e.g. the applets which want root password (nwam....) still work.

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android