[OpenIndiana-discuss] Anyone: A summary of how to update to latest or recent Virtualbox on oi

Predrag Zečević - Technical Support Analyst predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Tue Jan 23 07:49:19 UTC 2018

On 01/23/18 03:51, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I see threads periodically about problems installing Virtualbox on a
> recently updated oi.  And some success stories too, but I really would
> like to see a summary of how to attempt to install latest vbox.  I
> think that would be 5.2.6 currently.
>
> Something that would give a not so adept person running oi hosts, a
> fighting chance of successfully getting a very recent vbox installed
> and periodically updating it.
>
> I'm currently running 5.0.40 successfully having used JimK's patches
> that were actually written for 4*X vbox. (Thank you Jim K). And have
> been doing so for a number of months.  But sooner or later I will be
> needing to update.
>
> I've already been told on a Debian list that my version was getting
> too old for them to advise me on problems with debian vms I work with
> on my OI host.

Hi,

There is (beside Jim's solution) another one (I am using it for recent
versions on my /hipster OI):

$ pfexec pkgrm SUNWvbox

$ tar xf VirtualBox-5.2.6-120293-SunOS.tar.gz
$ pkgtrans VirtualBox-5.2.6-SunOS-amd64-r120293.pkg . all
$ rm SUNWvbox/install/checkinstall
$ sed -i /checkinstall/d SUNWvbox/pkgmap
$ pfexec pkgadd -d . SUNWvbox

That is derived from guide:
https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/7.2+VirtualBox#id-72VirtualBox-NotesforinstallingVirtualBoxonHipster

With best regards.
Predrag Zečević

Predrag Zečević
Technical Support Analyst
2e Systems GmbH

tel: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 15
mob: +49 - 174 - 3109288
fax: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 94
e-mail: predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

headquarter: 2e Systems GmbH, Koenigsteiner Str. 87, 65812 Bad Soden am
Taunus, Germany
registration: Amtsgericht Koenigstein (Germany), HRB 7303
managing director: Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!