[OpenIndiana-discuss] Trying to understand limits and scalability.

Jason Martin agrellum at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 15:02:04 UTC 2018

Have been using OpenIndiana since May 2017.

Very happy, seems to be in really capable developers hands.

Two machines up to date with jenkins build this morning.

Built and have been testing oorexx from svn for days now.

I have 161 tested scripts that produce no output or little output.

I can run one at a time in just a few minutes.
for filename in *.rexx
do
rexx $filename
done

Now on this machine:
https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-p6203w-b-tower-athlon-ii-x2-215-2-7-ghz-4-gb-500-gb-lcd-20/specs/

Run all in background
for filename in *.rexx
do
rexx $filename &
done

Scripts finish in terminal.

Machine become unresponsive.

Can ping from another.

Cannot ssh into from another.

I realize I put heavy load on it with 161 scripts at once.

Will kernel ever get back control?

How long before kernel gives me back some control?

Should a user be allowed to do this?