[OpenIndiana-discuss] [HEADS UP] Gnome 2 is dead

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 17:49:47 UTC 2018

On 01/23/18 04:21 PM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> The title says its all, but there are details.
>
> Today libunique, gnome-power-manager and gdm were removed from
> oi-userland (together with support for creating Gnome2 installation
> images). So if you still use Gnome 2 due to some strange reason, don't
> be surprised when essential applications (including GDM) disappear on
> system update,

It could be interesting to point people again, how to migrate from GNOME
to MATE and from gdm to lightdm and other apps.
For now I know that one might install mate_install to pull MATE packages
and use
$ pfexec svcadm disable gdm
$ pfexec svcadm enable lightdm    to switch display manager.

But actually, when issuing command to install mate_install I get this
error message..
.. So how to actually install mate/lightdm?

$ pfexec pkg install -v mate_install > updatelogs/updatelog-mate_install.txt

pkg install: No matching version of mate_install can be installed:
   Reject:  pkg://openindiana.org/mate_install@0.1-2017.0.0.17
   Reason:  No version matching 'conditional' dependency
diagnostic/diskinfo can be installed
     Reject: pkg://openindiana.org/diagnostic/diskinfo@0.5.11-2017.0.0.16768
pkg://openindiana.org/diagnostic/diskinfo@0.5.11-2017.0.0.16964
     Reason:  This version is excluded by installed incorporation
consolidation/osnet/osnet-incorporation at 0.5.11-2017.0.0.16350

And I don't even see diskinfo package installed anymore..