[OpenIndiana-discuss] Trying to understand limits and scalability.

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Jan 27 16:00:57 UTC 2018

On January 25, 2018 6:05:36 PM UTC, Jason Martin <agrellum at gmail.com> wrote:
>Ok, Thanks. I might leave running a long time just to test.

As for your other question - if a user should be allowed to do that sort of load, it depends on the tasks of the machine (dedicated to you or shared by a team etc.) I think by default there are no imposed limits, and the good balance is individually defined.

Either way, there is a lot of tools in way of resource management, per-process (ulimit), per-user/project, perhaps rcap for a zone dedicated as a constrained sandbox for such things...

Note you might disallow swapping and so processes that don't have enough RAM would fail a malloc and die or handle that otherwise. This would let the system not lag due to swap i/o ;)

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android