[OpenIndiana-discuss] No audio on Ryzen system

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 6 15:49:49 UTC 2018

I'm running OI-hipster on a system with an ASUS PRIME B350M-A
motherboard and an AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core Processor.  The device
driver shows two audio hardware devices, both with drivers:

  Audio   Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Caicos HDMI Audio [Radeon
          HD 6450 / 7450/8450/8490 OEM / R5 230/235/235X OEM]     audiohd

  Audio   Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh)
          HD Audio Controller                                     audiohd

I also have an add-on video card, that shows up this way:

  Video   Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Caicos PRO
          [Radeon HD 7450]                                        vgatext

I have my speakers plugged into the light green jack on the back of
the computer, but I get no sound from them.  I suspect that OI is
using the wrong audio hardware device.  I have this device link:

  lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           7 Sep 20  2017 /dev/audio -> sound/0

That corresponds to the Caicos HDMI Audio device.  There are actually
two devices with single-letter names:

  lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           9 Sep 20  2017 /dev/sound/0 -> audiohd:0
  lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           9 Sep 20  2017 /dev/sound/1 -> audiohd:1

The second one corresponds to the HD Audio Controller audio device.

What's the best way to get sound working on this system?